Focus on Families
Ridge Early Childhood Center
5151 W. 149th Street
Oak Forest, IL 60452
The Focus on Families Early Childhood program is a FREE prenatal to 36 month program that is open to all Forest Ridge School District 142 families. The main goal is to provide age appropriate fun activities for you and your child.
The program also provides information on parenting skills, child development, conduct developmental screenings and provides family support. Additionally, the program provides families with information about community services and resources.
Focus on Families is a great way for parents to meet other parents and children to get to know their peers.
What Does Focus on Families Offer?
Free Field Trips
Original Birth Certificate
Proof of Residency
- Information on various topics about children ages birth to three:
- Information on speech and language development, feeding, swallowing:
- Information regarding everything a parent needs to know about feeding little ones:
- Information about dealing with picky eaters:
- Provides information on the how much sleep children need and tips on how to help your child sleep:
- District 142 Preschool Parent Coordinator's page
- Provides information on Autism, including additional resources:
- Child and Family Connections #12 Tinley Park office at 708-429-8231. This site provides information on child development from birth to three years old:
- Provides early intervention therapies:
- For temporary assistance with clothing, food, housing, and finances:
- Assistance with housing, education and careers, health and nutrition:
- Interactive website for educational games:
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I drop my child off or does an adult come with?
An adult must be present with the child at ALL times for group encounters and a parent/guardian must be present during home visits.
- How many times a month do we come?
2 home visits
1-2 play groups a month in your assigned play group
1 parent meeting a month (guest speaker is invited and coffee, snack, and babysitting is provided)
Field trips every few months (all field trips are free, but transportation is not provided)
- How old can my child be to participate in Focus on Families?
This is a prevention initiative program that is funded by the state of Illinois. The program is geared towards prenatal moms with kids up to 36 months. We start as early as the family knows they are pregnant all the way to 36 months.
- What does Focus on Families offer:
Home visits- developmentally appropriate activites for the parent/child to complete together
Parent meetings with guest speakers
- What is a home visit and why?
Home visits are a time for you and your child to work on an activity together with the Parent Educator there to help facilitate. Home visits are very beneficial to the child as they work on something that is developmentally appropriate for their age that scaffolds on their milestones they are hitting in these young years (70 percent of brain development happens by age 3). We receive state funding for this program and it requires two home visits per month.
- What if I have a sibling that is 3 already?
Siblings are welcome to come to ALL events! All family members are welcome to come to any and all things offered by Focus on Families.